In my opinion, with the current scoring scheme, there's no point in stopping developing a dungeon and keep it as a baby.
What you can do is develop it in a way that makes it easier for you to attack others and defend your dungeon.
Here's a few guidelines:
- claim mines and quarries only as needed.
- In early stages, build your attack party with skells, trolls and immortal. Train skells and trolls as you can and get tiny asap, to use it on your raids. Train and use horny, while you don't have tiny.
- build 2 hatcheries and upgrade them asap till lvl8 (allows 35 skells and 30 trolls)
- build and upgrade warehouses and treasuries as needed.
- build library, to start leveling up the spells (will become handy in future)
- don't build graveyard, temple, torture chamber and don't upgrade training room. Leave those for latter.
- keep your trophies low, by loosing raids on purpose ("sandbagging"), in order to get easy dungeons to raid. Later in game, when your dungeon is developed and your troops are trained, you can decide to go up in trophies or not.
Guild - Vilified
HC Rings - 14: Skar Tactics x2, Italy x4, Romania, Russia, Mexico, OK, Sewercide, Spain Craft, Angry Unicorns, Danmark