HOME        ABOUT
FORUMS        FAQ

Dungeon Build Guide

Think you've got the goods? Share your strategies here!

Dungeon Build Guide

Postby Punkist » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:42 am

Rev3 01/02/14 Added Dungeon Discussion in Section (d)

Background: This game is really fun and it makes your brain juices flow, good job developers!

Objective: To list down various types of dungeons that players will build/encounter in this game and their associated strengths/weaknesses

Dungeons are divided into 3 main categories: (a) Open Dungeons (b) Closed Dungeons (c) Focal Point Dungeons (d) Dungeon Discussion

(a) Open Dungeons

(1) Open Dungeon

Description: Ever visited a dungeon to find that its more like an open air picnic? No corridors or restrictive barriers whatsoever and all possible areas dug up? Welcome to the Open Dungeon, a deceptively simple yet dangerous setup.

Strengths: An enemy sending in any unit will immediately realise how precarious the situation is (realise how AI screws you?). Units tend to stray with their own room preference bias, very often enemies end up as a split group of bile demons assaulting a gold/stone storage, trolls assaulting nearest trap and skeletons assaulting the nearest room. Once divided, the defence and traps eat you up. An open dungeon works by a divide and conquer tactic with the main cause of death being unit attrition.

Weakness: Use a large group of skeletons to focus their attacks taking down one defence after another. Once some defences have been taken down, use the resulting ruins to spawn two warlocks and snipe the heart. If two defences are equal distance from you, your skeletons will split 50/50, so take heed to have sufficient skeletons to overrun the enemy. Do not use a goblin-necromancer rush as goblins tend to get distracted by traps, the result will be highly unpredictable.

(b) Closed Dungeons

(1) Spiral and Long Corridor

Description: Ever played tower defence? These dungeons were designed to spiral towards the center heart starting from the outer loop, taking enemy units maximum time possible to reach it. This results in enemy units taking a long walk around the countryside visiting each and every defensive building available in your dungeon resulting in a long and slow death.

Strengths: The spiral and long corridors were designed for the survival raids. Defensive buildings are built behind walls which enemies have no way of accessing without range attacks. Any attackers will need to take the maximum time possible to make their way inwards, slowly taking range damage from defensive buildings while the buildings remain relatively unscathed behind the safety of the walls. Consistent and reliable defence mechanics.

Weakness: Put your Chicken bomb to good use. An armor is only as strong as its weakest link. Take out the least dangerous and most direct (non reinforced) walls towards the heart. After that, march your army inwards! If that is too hard, send in a bunch of trolls or skeletons to take out the nearest defensive buildings, spawn two warlocks at the surrounding ruins and snipe the heart

(2) Captain Obvious

Description: Have you seen dungeons which highlight an immediate weakness in one of their starting sides while the other sides seems relatively fortified? Easy kill you say: drop in a chicken bomb on that easy wall, march in your troops to the heart. Boom suddenly you're walking in a corridor with well placed spike traps, fire traps, freeze traps, poison traps, you name it. Welcome you've walked into Captain Obvious corridor of death!

Strengths: It's in human nature to exploit others, really it is. Guarantee 9/10 people will fall for it, you'd probably see immediate improvements to your battle scores as well.

Weakness: More experienced players would normally test the route with 1 skeleton to see what's installed. You may also win this by using a troll necromancer setup to force your way in (brute force!) or using ghosts fly in to destroy/open up alternative spawn points from ruins nearer to the heart. Take note that ghosts tend to get distracted by traps and may get killed by anti air buildings (even though description writes that they fly to the nearest rooms).

(3) Trap Luring

Description: Ever used the popular goblin-necro rush combo? Drop them at the spawn point just to see your goblins u-turn and attack traps behind while your necro moves ahead and die... You throw your hands up and cry why the f*** would they do that!? Well the answer is simple, read the description, goblins seeks traps and defensive buildings. Traps (in specific cannons, cannon and ice only) are usually placed on the outer ring road where goblins can be lured to target while defensive buildings chip away their health on the internal ring road. Fire traps are usually laid in between to increase the effectiveness of the damage since goblins are weak to fire.

The key to understanding this phenomena lies in the distance, goblins attack the nearest trap or defensive building. From observation, both traps and defensive rooms have the same priority scale, meaning if both are equal distance from each other, your goblins will split evenly to attack both. The nearer trap or defensive building will be targeted first. Undiscovered traps like the bug zapper take no priority until discovered. Bug zappers are automatically discovered by the AI if they are blocking a single entrance or exit point

Strengths: A fully trapped alley can cause an unsuspecting player great anguish. It is absolutely possible to make goblins run to and fro a trap laden (dead end) alley wiping them out before they reach your buildings. Spacing traps on the outer ring serves the purpose of making goblins run the full perimeter while allowing defensive buildings to chip away their health.

Weakness: Using a skeleton rush will cause the luring to fail miserably. Placing one or two goblins out to sacrifice and taking out the lures first will also work. After which you can send in your full force without worries.

(4) Lonely Heart

Contributed by user: Cetanu

Description: The heart is totally isolated from the other rooms by a 3 square thick wall. The objective is to prevent warlocks from being able to snipe the heart from across the wall. A slight variant of the lonely heart is to place spike traps along walkways 2 squares away from the heart, this effectively spikes the warlocks to death while they are engaging the heart.

Strengths: Nobody can smash surrounding rooms and deploy warlocks to snipe the heart from a safe space.

Weakness: While not obvious, creating a 3 square thick wall will often push buildings outwards nearer to the spawn points, this makes the buildings on the exterior more vulnerable. A well deployed level 3 chicken bomb will easily break through the necessary walls to destroy the exterior defensive buildings. You may not be able to kill the heart but that doesn't stop you from destroying more than 50% his dungeon.

(c) Focal Point Dungeons

(1) Heart Centre

Description: Heart Centre uses the Heart as a tanking structure due to its relatively high HP and attraction power (pun intended). All 4 mines have paths leading directly to it. Defensive buildings and traps are evenly spread out along the paths. All rooms are connected only at the heart.

Strengths: Enemies do not see the need of breaking down any walls or taking down any defences due to the obvious/direct path laid out for them. By not taking down defences, the attrition rate becomes alarming as they approach the centre where a large focus of firepower becomes suddenly obvious and often too late to correct. Enemies are often unable to take out the heart. Users are experienced players who can use traps/slow to their advantage.

Weakness: Experienced players tend to fly in ghosts to take out outlying defences before spawning units to take out individual defences accordingly. Alternatively, break a wall to take out nearby defences with a skeleton rush before marching straight to the heart.

(2) Trap Galore

Description: All paths lead into an area specially fortified to destroy any enemy wave. A typical Trap Galore will have 2 mine entrances fully covered with defensive buildings back-to-back. The other 2 mine entrances are unguarded and separated from the heart by a minimum 3-4 square wall.

Strengths: Trap Galore will wipe out any head-on combo, even the troll necro skeleton rush will not break it.

Weakness: Backdoor. Use up to 300 mana to chicken bomb through the weakest portion of the defence but first consider whether the amount of resources spent is worth the effort.

(d) Dungeon Discussion

So I'm starting off this section as a discussion to analyze dungeons. Do post a screen of your dungeon if you would like to discuss on your dungeon design.

This is the dungeon layout which I am currently using. Once you reach a total of 8 storage+treasury, it will be extremely hard to defend all of them at a go. The best way to defend them is to segregate them into separate sections. Think of it this way, If you lose 2/8 of the storage/treasury, you would have lost at most 25% of your stored resources.

In this dungeon, the northeast and southwest mines are unclaimed. The outer ring road is laden with spike traps to prevent drive-bys.
Last edited by Punkist on Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:38 am, edited 20 times in total.
Punkist
Upgraded Minion
Upgraded Minion

Re: Dungeon Build Guide

Postby spcbrass » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:43 pm

Nice tips! I actually used a combination of these strategies when building my dungeon. I have a "Captain Obvious/Heart Center/Spiral with Traps Galore."

I'm only at level 5 on my Dungeon heart so I don't even have a torture chamber to cover my dungeon heart with yet. With this setup I have become fairly successful at defending. Most of my losses come from armies of ghosts (6 or more) and warlocks (4 or more) with a few trolls or maybe a necromancer from time to time. Keepers with the LV 5 bomb wall spell can take a more direct route to my dungeon heart and score a victory that way, but have a hard time taking any other rooms other than my treasury after that. No one is immune from the LV 5 bomb wall spell, no one!

There are two back doors to my dungeon for anyone else willing to spend most of their mana, but they lead to a quick and decisive death. One of those leads to what looks like a direct head on route to my dungeon heart, but it is heavily guarded with defensive rooms and traps. The other backdoor leads to the graveyard/treasury area which can be taken quite easily and leaves a two way spiral one which leads you to a room filled with traps that will waste your time before finally getting you access to my dark library and after that is the final stretch of traps and defensive rooms leading to the dungeon heart. The other option out of the graveyard/treasury assault will require the last of your mana (if you have any left) to break through and enter the long corridor/spiral of death section. Ghosts can bypass all of this and save you some mana, but the result is usually the same unless you come with more than I can handle. Even then I will lose, but my dungeon heart remains intact.

I'm willing to sacrifice gold in order to slow the enemy down, my stone supply is heavily guarded and incorporated into the spiral of death. Each stone supply covered by at least 2 defensive rooms. My treasuries are only covered by one. All of this again without the Torture Chamber.

Attacking a dungeon is a different animal all together!
Ninja Rocket Surgeon

Don Quixote wrote:Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.

Device: HTC One
Game Version: tu3.1.0.69.248444
spcbrass
Master Keeper
Master Keeper

Postby Punkist » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:26 am

Updated trap luring
Punkist
Upgraded Minion
Upgraded Minion

Postby cetanu » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:48 am

Another strategy is "Lonely Heart" where the heart is totally isolated from the other rooms, with only traps near it. This way nobody can smash surrounding rooms and deploy warlocks to bomb the heart from a safe space.
cetanu

Postby Punkist » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:04 am

cetanu wrote:Another strategy is "Lonely Heart" where the heart is totally isolated from the other rooms, with only traps near it. This way nobody can smash surrounding rooms and deploy warlocks to bomb the heart from a safe space.

Noted on this, lemme monitor it to see if more people are using it.
Punkist
Upgraded Minion
Upgraded Minion

Postby Punkist » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:39 pm

Ok updated lonely hearts
Punkist
Upgraded Minion
Upgraded Minion

Postby Grimgor » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:45 am

What about hidden paths is where you use anti air and bug zappers as doors confusing the enemy on how they get in.
Grimgor
Master Keeper
Master Keeper

Postby Punkist » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:09 pm

Grimgor wrote:What about hidden paths is where you use anti air and bug zappers as doors confusing the enemy on how they get in.

I'm not sure if this is a build per se, you wanna provide me more commentary on it and also if you are using it? If so, how are you using it?
Punkist
Upgraded Minion
Upgraded Minion

Postby johnz45 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:56 pm

For example, you have a room where there is only 1 entrance. Then you plug that entrance with a zapper or antiair. Opponent wouldn't know which way to enter the room when planning strategy.
johnz45
Upgraded Minion
Upgraded Minion

Postby spcbrass » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:18 pm

johnz45 wrote:For example, you have a room where there is only 1 entrance. Then you plug that entrance with a zapper or antiair. Opponent wouldn't know which way to enter the room when planning strategy.

The oddity is that trolls tend to sniff out these traps and go for them right away after they have taken down any canons in the area. I have seen this tactic used before, and in both cases the trolls have helped me to find the obvious path without much work at all. Only once was I overwhelmed by this strategy, but it cost the keeper 4 bug zappers to do the job. I sniped my way in using a couple of warlocks and tried to unleash a troll rush, had I release trolls 1 at a time or staggered them one after another I would have beaten this trap by using one troll to draw the shock and the second to break the trap. Then 2 draw the second shock of trap #2 while the 3rd troll breaks it. 5 trolls, 4 traps, pretty simple to neutralize if you are patient (most keepers aren't!)
Ninja Rocket Surgeon

Don Quixote wrote:Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.

Device: HTC One
Game Version: tu3.1.0.69.248444
spcbrass
Master Keeper
Master Keeper

Next

Return to Strategy Discussions