HOME        ABOUT
FORUMS        FAQ

Dungeon Build Guide

Think you've got the goods? Share your strategies here!

Re: Dungeon Build Guide

Postby Hitoshura » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:38 am

I have a sort of divide-and-conquer tactic. I make a handful of seemingly forward places to tempt you to enter, but have two gold/stone storage in the rear. The idea is that, despite how easy it would be to go through the front, you have all the defense rooms, but if you go in the rear and go for the storage... you get all the traps. All of the Fireburst traps. What tends to happen is most players either try to huck a handful of ghosts to those rooms, which are promptly grenaded down by anti-air, or manage to pick off a room, but then the real fun starts: the high-level Fireburst traps that chomp down the unsuspecting trolls. High-level doors paired with Freeze/Zappers lead to certain doom for the vast majority of trolls launched.

In addition to this, the warehouse is on one side, with the treasury on the other, so you have a choice: do I take one, or the other (duh, they always go for stone)? So, because 99.9999999999% of players are predictable in this, I'm focusing all my stone on maxing out those Fireburst traps and doors. Should be interesting to see how it goes when I get JUST the two Fireburst traps to 6 and doors to 9 (or even close to it -- I have one Fireburst at 4, upgrading to 5, and that door is 6 -- I watched one guy lose almost all of his trolls in the four seconds it took the Fireburst to hit them three times).

Simply stated: know thy enemy, and make the obvious answer the wrong one.
Hitoshura
Upgraded Minion
Upgraded Minion

Postby spiderbait » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:24 pm

I feel like the 'open dungeon' category is a bit off. It insinuates that you need an open dungeon to herd minions, but that simply isn't true. I'd like a specific herding category that covers splitting up the enemy minions.

Another concept I'm using (and needs a category) is delaying. If the time runs out before the attacker has gotten over 50%, it is your win. So why not take advantage of this. My dungeon splits in two. If the attacker focuses on one route, he wont make his quota and will have to enter my kill-zone before he can get over 50%.

The whole discussion over hidden traps doesn't seem to take into account that trolls wont sniff them out unless they're close, or if there is no other possible target (at least that seems to be how it works). So placing an AA works pretty well to hide an entrance.

Now to my dungeon.

Bigger picture: http://imgur.com/U0FYy0f

My dungeon is kind of 'under construction' right now. I'm going to fill up the obvious hole in the bottom corner with a reinforced wall and I'm moving the guard post to the open space in the top corner and closing up the vulnerable hole that'll be left (and moving the AA below). I'm basically using a 'kill-zone' at a single entrance for brute force attacks, AA to stop flyers from taking me from behind and a couple of dead-ends to herd the enemy (and delay them). Basic concept is that they will have to go through the kill zone whatever kind of attack they decide to use. I've placed an AA as an entrance to the heart and I have a decoy entrance at the other side of the dungeon. I'll go into more detail below (with illustrated pictures), but consider this info the tl;dr.

There are four ways to attack in DK: Brute force, ranged, aerial and bombs. I mostly ignore ranged since I don't see it as a threat anymore, but the rest I try and deal with.

Brute force
http://imgur.com/IlTe4BM

Easy. Put a kill-zone at the front of my dungeon (red square) that destroys everything conventional. Even if it doesn't, 'nearest room' and 'nearest treasury' types get funneled down (yellow line) and then up through the kill zone to the second treasury. Even if he spawns an attack when the storage falls, it will simply go into a dead-end and have to go back and through the kill zone. I've also marked the full route (white) a main attack would take.
You can also see the two possible entryways (white circles). Not only would this confuse the attacker which one he should focus on at the start, but it also wont reveal until he reaches it, making it very costly if he went the wrong way (both time and attrition).

Aerial
http://imgur.com/NdHW0Q7

White arrows = attack routes
White circles = AA
Star = AA I'm using as a door (therefore not in the most optimal place)
Red lighting = What attacks which route.

I'm a bit vulnerable to an aerial attack from the south, but besides that I usually destroy any attack that comes my way. Since the Rockets are hidden most try to attack from the west or NE and get hammered.

Bombs
http://imgur.com/xCyqEpt

The best way to attack my dungeon. Everyone seems to attack either from the North or the South. The South just leads to them having to circle back and go through my kill-zone (no advantage gained). The North can be troublesome and I haven't really had enough attacks there to really figure out what'll happen but, from what I've seen, it goes like this: 1. Wall blown followed by troll-rush. They go all over the place (traps sending them every which way). If the attacker is good, he manages to destroy my workshop. Trolls don't attack guild halls though so there's not a lot of attacks beyond that point and everything circles back. They have the advantage over my kill zone, but thankfully it can usually still handle them. Only one has gotten to the heart (he did so by bombing the wall, not searching for the AA). I think he destroyed it, but I can't really tell (stupid replay glitch) but he did win with only 39%.

So any criticism for my dungeon? It's a bit slow improving it based on attacks (stupid cave-in. Wish I could disable it) and I'd love feedback.

PS: I feel there's a distinct lack of pictures in this thread. For those that don't know: You press the center button and the power button at the same time on an android phone to take a screenshot. You can then transfer that screenshot to your computer by connecting it to your comp, or having dropbox automatically sync your pictures to your comp. Then you open up http://imgur.com/ and simply drag the picture to the window. There should then be a link next to your picture for forums. Put that link in and you should have a picture.
spiderbait

Postby d18c7db » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:12 pm

OK Here's a dungeon I came across today while raiding. I didn't attack it because I wasted too much time taking pictures of it haha.

http://imgur.com/h2abwFQ

For completeness, since the whole of the dungeon can't fit in the picture, all 8 mines are claimed and connected by an outside ring (outmost tiles mined) except for the North end which you can clearly see how it's mined. This type of setup has confused me and I bet a lot of beginners too and I can't remember seeing it being addressed in the wiki. I'm still not 100% sure but from what I can understand, some defensive traps, like AA (Anti Air) show up as normal un-mined tiles to an attacker. With that in mind, the above dungeon must have a 5 tile path (most economical) to the Guild Room which is completely filled with AA traps making the Heart appear to be encased in solid rock with no visible entrance.

What I can't understand is why AA traps must be shown as normal rock tiles, I mean I understand that traps can be hidden, but why not show them as empty space rather than rock tiles?
d18c7db
Master Keeper
Master Keeper

Postby Daemonizer » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:58 pm

Good question.

I would probably like "hidden" traps to show as empty cells
but then we'd get the opposite effect. It would look like a path
was open and easily walked but our minions will have to stop
and destroy the hidden traps.

So then a long hallway surrounded by defensive rooms and traps
might be filled with invisible traps that would slow us down
more than we expected when we planned to invade.

So there would be complaints about that.

But at least if hidden traps were vacant cells I could place
vacant cells here and there to scare people into thinking
that might be a hidden trap.

I kind of like the completely hidden effect you show above
because it gives some mystery to the raid.

Maybe the Keeper of the dungeon could decide whether or not
to have hidden traps Soft Rock or Vacant.
------------------------------------------------------------
Daemon, Oct 17 2013
Daemonizer
Master Keeper
Master Keeper

Postby Grimgor » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:34 am

d18c7db that looks like an old dungeon where building level wasn't cap to heart level. Was their 2 other treasury as you need 3 to have max out hatchery's?

spiderbait best way to enter your dungeon is from the right mine straight into the hatchery. If their tiny high enough they could snipe your workshop after that allowing them to get most of your resources.
Grimgor
Master Keeper
Master Keeper

Postby d18c7db » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:20 am

The bottom half of that dungeon didn't have any more buildings, just the mines connected by an outside path.
d18c7db
Master Keeper
Master Keeper

Postby Grottan » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:54 am

spiderbait wrote:So any criticism for my dungeon? It's a bit slow improving it based on attacks (stupid cave-in. Wish I could disable it) and I'd love feedback.

As you say, it's very vulnerable to bombs. One bomb breaks open the east hatchery and if needed one more opens up the workshop. A bigger problem is that your guild hall is extremely vulnerable to warlocks. A couple of warlocks will snipe the guild hall and open up the dungeon without any mana/immortal usage. After this it's trivial to take out Gold+Stone+Guild hall+Workshop+Heart with trolls and warlocks. The only defense you have against this is if you have a tiny on defense, but most people will gladly cluck off a tiny to steal him.

I would strongly recommend that you move the eastern hatchery one tile to the left to make the wall 4 tiles deep, and that you somehow solve the North situation.
Grottan
Upgraded Minion
Upgraded Minion

Postby ciopo » Thu May 15, 2014 11:12 am

http://appgoons.tk/dungeonkeeper/?name=ciopotest

I would like comment and tips on my setup.

The heart is heavily defended, in fact, I`ve yet to lose once when they try to go by it`s intended entrance.
ciopo

Postby Fitup » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:50 pm

I love finding Open dugeons.They're so incredibly easy to loot and I can focus my manna not on wall bombing but purely to smite the rooms with fire and lightning..Open dungeons are the easiest dungeons to smash 100%.
Fitup

Postby Fitup » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:52 pm

What bout those dungeons that put all their resource rooms on the outside paremater and their defensive ones on the inside near the heart?
Fitup

PreviousNext

Return to Strategy Discussions