HOME        ABOUT
FORUMS        FAQ

Tournament #3 + #4: Updates from all brackets & strategy

A place for recruiting others to join; for those seeking like-minded guilds; some good-natured smack-talking, etc.

Tournament #3 + #4: Updates from all brackets & strategy

Postby Kaihawaii » Wed May 28, 2014 10:20 am

This thread is for all discussions around tournament #3, cross-brackets. I think, there is more to discuss and show-off from all brackets! Feel free to join and post some screens from top 3 of your bracket, your top guild performances, etc.

Forecast:
There are five trends expected.

a) Revival of low-Mana Tiny-bys (aka [CHN]EA "exploit")

b) Tiny-bys will be accompanied with extreme sandbagging, due today's introduction of more trophy count based matchmaking.

c) Guild-wide qualifier sandbagging to avoid competition in highest 3-5 brackets.

d) Another massive push of newly created dungeons and resupply-raiding using free gems (aka Downtown Dungeons "exploit").

e) Guild hopping between cooperating guilds, but also from high performance solo-members (leaving their guild temporary) to find a guild that has a chance and sweet spot to top 3 a bracket. They'll help to succeed, but take their bigger share of the gems and fame.

f) before a raid as high-DCR starts, open up your dungeon and raid your clone :-) (aka DaGrud/German Empire "exploit")
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5825 + viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5892

g) Reduced tournament participation. I think that there is significant tournament fatigue among high level raiders and that winners will have significantly reduced star counts in comparison to previous tournaments. ( by BPM8)

BPM8 wrote:Great predictions. Most are spot on. I think you missed one major trend that we will see this time:

Tournament #3 Schedule & Parameters:
Gene_Mythic wrote:Qualifier Start: May 28 - 13:00 GMT / 09:00 EDT / 06:00 PDT
Qualifer End/Tournament Start: May 30 - 13:00 GMT / 09:00 EDT / 06:00 PDT
Tournament End: June 2 - 13:00 GMT / 09:00 EDT / 06:00 PDT

Qualifier Requirement: 50 Victory Stars
Number of Brackets (not including Horny's Chosen): 15
Bracket Size (max): 100

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5821

Edit: f+g added
Last edited by Kaihawaii on Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:27 am, edited 7 times in total.
Dungeon & Gamecenter ID: As Tiny goes by
Campaign walktrough: Battle of the Elements
Kaihawaii
Master Keeper
Master Keeper

Re: Tournament #3, updates from all brackets & strategy

Postby BPM8 » Wed May 28, 2014 1:09 pm

Great predictions. Most are spot on. I think you missed one major trend that we will see this time:

Reduced tournament participation. I think that there is significant tournament fatigue among high level raiders and that winners will have significantly reduced star counts in comparison to previous tournaments.
BPM8
Minion
Minion

Postby Caledonius » Wed May 28, 2014 1:53 pm

I think you're predictions will hit very close to the mark. They really do need a better measuring stick for tournaments than stars, but that's neither here nor there. I hope people follow your advice on "e)" We have a great pool of top players, but we aren't against having more. We do use "guild swapping" within our small, yet growing, community of players. It's a guild +1 all members belong to both guilds in our community (there's talk of adding a third) and move around pretty much as they please. It gives people a needed break from constant tournaments, while others compete to their hearts content, all the while playing with a great group of dedicated people.
Guild: Downtown Dungeons
Dungeon Name: Coaldonia
Dear EA, Thank you for fixing trophies.
Sincerely, Coal
Caledonius
Minion
Minion

Postby Kaihawaii » Wed May 28, 2014 6:12 pm

We'll see. Would love to see a higher rate of strategy/exploit disclosure. Would be more fun...
Kaihawaii
Master Keeper
Master Keeper

Postby spcbrass » Wed May 28, 2014 6:19 pm

A) Never really went away, just not utilized as widely this past tournament which led to...

B) A new/old technique that has been around ever since Tiny flew into to this game, in fact the very guild that invented, perfected and won with this technique will continue to use it and do so with great success. This technique will never go away.

C) Happened in tournament #1, happened in tournament #2, will happen in tournament #3 until forever. This is a risky proposition though because a guild could sandbag until the closing minutes to grab a spot in one of the last brackets, but very powerful guilds would be able to qualify in a matter of minutes if well coordinated and multiple uber guilds in all of lower brackets fighting against each other for the prizes kills it for the little guys. Now they could and probably should reseed the tournament based on actual guild ranking once it begins so if the #21 ranked guild qualifies in the #999 position they are reseeded into the #2 bracket as opposed to the #10 bracket. This would keep guilds of relative strength competing against one another for their respective prizes.

D) Will not go away until EA/Mythic takes an official stance on it. Even still there is already a work around for it, the games best keepers have figured out how to trick the system thoroughly and are so far ahead of the curve at the moment that the devs can only hope to slow them down. These accounts can be created legally and manipulated within the rules of the game to gain a very high amount of stars. A keeper could conceivably spend $20 in the tournament to earn $20 worth of gems that they could save for the next tournament creating an endless loop of perpetual victory. Now imagine what would happen if 25 of these guys got together with two dungeons each and formed a guild that was optimized for both qualifying and winning the tournament. A well coordinated group effort could win these things 10, 20, even 50 times in a row if they wanted, all for a small investment of cash. Until the rules and parameters of the tournament change, this thing will continue to happen.

E) Could happen but I see a more evil and sinister way to use this by some really devious keepers and that is to take your stars and bail in the last hour when a tournament is all but sewn up. Now unfortunately you are going to get a reputation that way and everyone is going to talk about you, but that is certainly one way to stick it to the man!

F) Seems like only a glitch to me at this time. In fact this clone issue has been around for a long time. Before the clone issue existed there was a far worse scenario however. Imagine launching a raid and being presented with a pop up box that reads, "There are no dungeons available to raid at this time, please try again later." Trust me that is a scenario that you never want to see!

G) Factors A-D have already contributed to this which has many smaller guilds not worried about competing for a prize that they have no chance at ever earning. Their only hope is the lottery, so instead of stressing out and working hard in the tournament that is being dominated by sandbaggers, OP immortals, and alternate egos, they instead actually get to play this game, progress and have fun. In fact option G at least on the surface appears to be the best way to go, so if they get in great, if not great. It's certainly a scenario where you can at least win for losing!
Ninja Rocket Surgeon

Don Quixote wrote:Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.

Device: HTC One
Game Version: tu3.1.0.69.248444
spcbrass
Master Keeper
Master Keeper

Postby Kaihawaii » Wed May 28, 2014 6:31 pm

@sbcbrass

Regarding F)
See discussion in this very topic in my first post. I encoutered these nessages during my test run:
1. Find the right time
2. bomb the last 5-10 high DCR dungeon into Cave-in
3. open up your clone at time -n
4. raid your clone with no mana and Tiny in < 45"
5. repeat 4. and/or 2. & 4.

I tried it, worked twice in a row before I stopped. This is for brackets with few players a serious issue in my POV.

Visualized workaround: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5825#p40596

kaihawaii wrote:If AttackableOpponent < 1) {
GoTo = "Clone";
} else if (AttackableOpponent = OwnClone) {
GoTo = "NextClone";
} else {
GoTo = "LowerBracket";
}

Regarding G)
Like it
Kaihawaii
Master Keeper
Master Keeper

Postby Sno0opy » Fri May 30, 2014 2:42 am

I honestly think the clone issue would be solved to a great extent by just saying that any one in dread is in the same bracket regardless of DRC. Its supposed to be the elite.
Sno0opy
Minion
Minion

Postby Mastfish » Fri May 30, 2014 2:58 am

Best way to have fun is to name your guild after something you like that is amazing but doesn't get enough notice qualifying for tourny is enough and raiding .1000s of people see the name although one day would like to win tourny if only someone who likes studio Ghibli would join my level 5 studio Ghibli guild got 2 members so not fair didn't get into hornys chosen missed out by about 30 mins.
Mastfish
Upgraded Minion
Upgraded Minion

Postby Bills Hell » Fri May 30, 2014 3:33 am

Yup, dont care going fishing. See you little buck a rhos later.
Bills Hell
Master Keeper
Master Keeper

Postby Mastfish » Fri May 30, 2014 3:39 am

Bills hell great chap helping small guilds level up shame he is a member of downtown dungeons the man utd of dungeon keepers
Mastfish
Upgraded Minion
Upgraded Minion

Next

Return to Guilds (English language)