HOME        ABOUT
FORUMS        FAQ

Sandbagging - right or wrong?

Talk amongst y'selves!

Sandbagging - right or wrong?

Postby goonigoogoo » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:31 am

Congratz on Russia winning another ring this weekend.
This for me brings back that old chesnut whether sandbagging is in the spirit of the game and whether it should be nerfed yet again?
Or should it be encouraged as a cheap way of scoring high and fast?
I tried sandbagging in the baby dungeon era and it was sooooooooooooo boring to play. in fact I still have a dcr18 dungeon with 5k gems sitting idle.
The point about sandbaggers now it that you can attack a dcr 1 dungeon with your dcr150 dungeon and get 500stars based entirely on your multipliers rather than your opponents. This can be played on x4 with tiny and a troll/skelly army. therefore a sandbagger can score 1500 stars in the same time a big dread can but uses no mana and very cheap refil.
The game at high level for me should be more like a game of chess rather than noughts and crosses.
Alas I fear sandbagging is making a comeback.
Oh lord help me I'm falling down the stairs
Guild - Dark Exodus
goonigoogoo
Keeper
Keeper

Re: Sandbagging - right or wrong?

Postby pitofdespair » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:48 am

It’s in the spirit of the game insofar as the theme is to be evil. ;)

My big objection has always been that it drives away new players.

My secondsry objection has been that it takes away the fun of the game for the sandbagger and their competitors in tourneys.

My tertiary objection has been that it discourages gem spending, both by the sandbaggeres and by people who know they can’t compete against them.

There are some subtleties. It’s clearly allowed as a strategy. People who win by it don’t want to lose their advantage. But I think the above three things are true.
Bruce Campbells Army of Darkness - an open lv 40 guild for casual players of all levels who want to develop their dungeons and get Dreadstone in tournaments
pitofdespair
Keeper
Keeper

Postby purgatoria » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:26 pm

It's not a fun/ challenging way to play. To each their own.
purgatoria
Master Keeper
Master Keeper

Postby JPN Keepers » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:09 am

DK is a game. Enjoy it as you like. :D
JPN Keepers
Upgraded Minion
Upgraded Minion

Postby scorp_nv » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:37 pm

So.
As one of the best "sandbagger" in the game (Kongar - respect, you are better :D ) i can't pass that topic.
You said about sandbagging - as about easy form of playing...
But for my last (and the best) result in HC i was play 30 hours in tourney. I was slept 4 hours two nights in a row
That not to easy to play x4 - you can lose immortal in secs.
For earn 500 stars you need minimum 210DCR dungeon, but without many cups, without high league of evil and attack only low DCR dungeons - you can't get resources to upgrade dungeon. That need really many hours of playing to get upgrade for ONE room. High level dungeons grow much faster and get more stars.
On same DCR you get stars faster, because selection for high cups are better.
About gems - on epic fight they go away faster, than you think. Sometimes i buy gems in really hard battles.
Only developers can determine way to play in game. I remeber, many people was write to 'kill baby dungeons'. It's have done. Today game have balance with different strategies. But same people again unhappy.
I can beat high lvl dungeons and I do that when I want to. I'm did'nt beating only low level.
And the main thing - too many player use sandbagging. If try to change the rules - they will go away. After will go away more players, because they are bored to play with limited selection of dungeons. Do you really want that?

p.s. Sorry for poor english.
scorp_nv

Postby Starduka » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:21 pm

Funny how this question is raised after the correction of the free resupply bug that many high trophy dungeon players were using to score big :lol:
Just spend your gems. High trophy can beat sandbaggers, as they were doing when using the bug.
Use gems/spend some money and you can keep getting the rings that you want
Guild - The Malazans
HC Rings - 14: Skar Tactics x2, Italy x4, Romania, Russia, Mexico, OK, Sewercide, Spain Craft, Angry Unicorns, Danmark
Starduka
Upgraded Minion
Upgraded Minion

Postby Plague » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:16 am

Once again people who don't like how others play pipe up and want the game changed to there way of playing,now the big non sandbaggers can't cheat they don't like others out scoring them.
Like the old baby dungeons the sandbaggers don't drive new players away as most have a open route to the heart for easy revenge, they don't take the low lvl immortals and most of the time they hit clones.
Plague

Postby Kongar » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:10 pm

Sandbagging is "right" because it's allowed in the game. There isn't a secret method or exploit that is required. Transparent and easily understood.

Where do you draw the line? At what point is a trophy count too low? What is the maximum DCR difference that should be allowed? We need to make sure that maximum difference is enforced at all trophy levels and DCR.

The "Battle of the Sandbaggers" was predicted as the big dungeons cheered the new star formula and the death of babies... but only now... when big dungeons have a competion issue are complaints voiced.
Kongar
Upgraded Minion
Upgraded Minion

Postby pitofdespair » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:33 pm

Honestly I’m really tired of some sandbaggers slinging personal attacks every time someone suggests it has a bad impact on the game. (Same for tiny-bys, and every rule that affects tournaments.) Nobody questioned your motives. Don’t question theirs. Many of us have argued for this and other things that are against our personal advantage.
Bruce Campbells Army of Darkness - an open lv 40 guild for casual players of all levels who want to develop their dungeons and get Dreadstone in tournaments
pitofdespair
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Ululant » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:04 am

This should stir the pot. With respect Pit and Kongar, I have seen some chatter about bots being used to sandbag. Don’t know if that is true, don’t know who and don’t care too. But if the respectable strategy of sandbagging is being facilitated by the use of bots then I do not see it as a legitimate strategy in the spirit of fair gameplay either. It takes lots time or gems to build a beast of a dungeon. It should take time and effort to sandbag. I know their are likely some dungeons that have benefited from previous exploits that were not caught and that is unfair too. It can also be argued that it was unfair when that disable trap glitch happened and many inadvertently/innocently benefited by going straight to level 6 where as other had to grind it out. We had to accept that and move on, so grudgingly, we might have to accept those d’s that benefited from exploits (those bleeping bleep bleeps :evil: ). But if bots are being used to keep sandbagged trophies low, then those dungeons have not earned the right to sandbagging as a strategy either. Especially when they sweep into a tournament in the last 6 hours and knock out 150 k stars in short order and “steal” a podium spot. With exception of trying to build up a hoard of future gems for future development I do not see the point of a sandbag baby dungeon anyway with the exception of a last minute tourney addition to help ensure victory in a close tourney. Is that a legit strategy? I can buy that, hate it, but it is FairPlay, so long as those D’s are sandbagging manually to earn it.
Ululant
Minion
Minion

Next

Return to General Discussion