HOME        ABOUT
FORUMS        FAQ

Horny's Chosen Club—Master winners list

Talk amongst y'selves!

Horny's Chosen Club—Master winners list

Postby Da Grud » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:53 pm

I felt it was about time we had a master list of all the WINNERS of previous Horny's Chosen tournaments. These guilds worked hard as a team to win their golden ring(s) & it's only right that they be recognized for their bravery to even compete and of course their success at being victorious in this tremendous challenge.

So here you go, all previous winners from Horny's Chosen tournaments...

***Just click on the guild names above to jump to the corresponding post in this thread with information about their tournament.

The scheduled frequency of tournaments has reached a level that they are no longer special events. I therefore feel no need to spend any more of my precious time creating an individual summary for each event. Instead, from this point forward I will just post the winning guild for each Horney's Chosen bracket and link you to the thread that gives you the rest of that tournament's results....

Congratulations to ALL the guilds on the above list. Winning a Horny's Chosen tournament is indeed one of the hardest challenges you can take on in this game. Enjoy your rings & welcome to the most exclusive club in this game.

AUTHOR'S NOTES: It is my hope to record a complete & accurate accounting of each tournament in question. As I am only one individual however, with only my own personally experiences in these tournaments I am sure to miss some stories that others may wish to have recorded. Please PM me if you find any corrections that need to be made or if you have any additional content you feel is missing.
Last edited by Da Grud on Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:13 pm, edited 28 times in total.
Da Grud
Master Keeper
Master Keeper

TOURNAMENT #1

Postby Da Grud » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:54 pm

Qualifier Start Date: Saturday, April 26th 2014
Qualifier Start Time: 05:00 GMT / 01:00 EDT
Stars to Qualify: 200

Tournament Start Date: Monday, May 5th 2014
Tournament Start Time: 05:00 GMT / 01:00 EDT
Tournament Duration: 7 Days

Tournament update Thread:. <click here>

Tournament Results...

Tournament Notes: This was the first and longest tournament of them all. The entire DK community was excited to take their shot at winning the FIRST ever tournament in DK Land.

The predominate strategy used during this tourney was know as the "Tiny-By." Keepers would send in the highly over-powered Tiny immortal (sometimes paired with the disable trap spell), make a beeline to the heart & get an easy win. This was the last great hooray for Tiny tho, as it was greatly nerfed at the conclusion of this contest (<source thread>).

Many were excited to compete, but In the end it turned into a battle between two guilds; 'Downtown Dungeons' and 'EA还我们宝石' (translation: EA Give us back our gems). Downtown Dungeons took the early lead and held it for a few days, but EA还我们宝石 kept the pressure on & slowly, but surly took the eventual lead & win.

***I could provide more in depth info here, but the update thread of this particular tournament is very concise so I feel no need to repeat it here.

I was unable to locate a screen shot of EA还我们宝石's numbers, but here are the top ten from the second place team...

Curious about the other tournament winners? <Click Here>

AUTHOR'S NOTES: It is my hope to record a complete & accurate accounting of each tournament in question. As I am only one individual however, with only my own personally experiences in these tournaments I am sure to miss some stories that others may wish to have recorded. Please PM me if you find any corrections that need to be made or if you have any additional content you feel is missing.
Da Grud
Master Keeper
Master Keeper

TOURNAMENT #2

Postby Da Grud » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:54 pm

Qualifier Start Date: Monday, May 19th 2014
Qualifier Start Time: 17:00 GMT / 13:00 EDT
Stars to Qualify: 250

Tournament Start Date: Thursday, May 22nd 2014
Tournament Start Time: 17:00 GMT / 13:00 EDT
Tournament Duration: 4 Days

Tournament update Threads:. <here> & <here>

Tournament Results...

Tournament Notes: whereas in the first tournament everyone was super excited to compete, in this tournament guilds seemed to be very hesitant.

Subject: How long did it take your guild?
Da Grud wrote:Almost 6 hours in & still only 3 guilds qualified for the tournaments... I'm convinced guilds are holding back to avoid the top bracket now. 250 stars is nothing! That's just 5 stars per keeper in a guild.

Many guilds had no interest in competing in the Horny's bracket after seeing how hard it was to place in the first tournament. Other guilds, like the previous winners had many players quit after Mythic nerfed their beloved Tiny...

Subject: Tournament 2 Update
sodomine wrote:2/3 elite players in Tournament 1 quit the game.
CRC and CHN EA may be described as an empty city(guild).

If the first tournament was defined by the "Tiny-by" method, this one saw the birth of the "Baby Dungeon" method. This method entailed building a new, low level dungeon that had high offense ability, but a very low DCR. This was achieved by not building or upgrading anything that didn't help offense & keeping the dungeons trophy score low.

Da Grud was the first player to use a lower level dungeon to quickly earn stars during the qualifier. Others in his guild (Downtown Dungeons) saw the impressive numbers he was able to put up & many scrambled to create new "baby dungeons" of their own. In the end this tournament became a battle of the old "Tiny-by" method against the new "Baby Dungeon" method.

The members of EA还我们宝石 that hadn't quit because of the Tiny nerf, joined forces with The Chinese Royal Club & again it came down to a two guild fight between the Chinese & Downtown Dungeons. The China guild didn't catch on to the new "Baby Dungeon" method until too late in the game & even tho they quickly scrambled to create their own baby dungeons, in the end Downtown Dungeons pulled out the narrowest of victories by a margin of only 22 stars.

Downtown Dungeons member breakdown...

Last edited by Da Grud on Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Da Grud
Master Keeper
Master Keeper

TOURNAMENT 3

Postby Da Grud » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:55 pm

Qualifier Start Date: Wednesday, May 28th 2014
Qualifier Start Time: 13:00 GMT / 09:00 EDT
Stars to Qualify: 50

Tournament Start Date: Friday, May 30th 2014
Tournament Start Time: 13:00 GMT / 09:00 EDT
Tournament Duration: 3 Days

Tournament update Threads: . <here> & <here>

Tournament Results...

Tournament Notes: This tournament qualifier started just 2 days after the end of tournament 2. Because of this fact, it found record low participation & lower star totals than the previous tournaments. The Chinese guilds did not compete this time round so it was an easy win for Downtown Dungeons. They earned their second ring & became the first guild to win Horny's Chosen tournament twice despite the Italy guild's attempt to rally support and beat them here.

The most memorable story from this tournament involved the third place guild, Frog France. Their star totals dropped by 1,000 points just before the end of the tournament & other's wondered why. (<source thread>)

In a nut shell, people wondered if Frog France had kicked members that had contributed stars in order to boost the gem rewards of others in the guild or if they had just used multiple accounts which they had exit the guild when they saw they didn't need their stars. In the end, no one came out to complain about being booted so it was believed that the star drop was caused by them removing second accounts of theirs.

Downtown Dungeons top 5 member breakdown...

Curious about the other tournament winners? Well I could find no official announcement post listing the winners in all brackets. Mythic was disbanded around this time & therefore the results post become very sporadic from here on out. That said, you can find some other winners <here>

Last edited by Da Grud on Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Da Grud
Master Keeper
Master Keeper

TOURNAMENT #4

Postby Da Grud » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:56 pm

Qualifier Start Date: Wednesday, June 4th 2014

Tournament Start Date: Friday, June 6th 2014

Tournament Results...

Tournament Notes: This was an interesting tournament indeed. It started off with the qualifier where spcbrass decided to compete in the Horny's Chosen bracket as a solo player (<source thread>). As for the two time winning guild, Downtown Dungeons, many in that guild decided to try and help a small low level guild known as Studio Ghibli. This splitting up of Downtown Dungeons' members helped allow Brothers Guild to win their first ring.

The leader of Studio Ghibli was a keeper named Matsfish & he received help from top star earning keepers from many different guilds all over DK Land. They all united to try & win him a ring & bring attention to his guild, however when there was only half a day left in the tournament Matsfish decided to kick out his top five star earners. (Please see <here> & <here>)

This act caused many others to leave his guild and dropped Studio Ghibli from second place to third. It also lead to the biggest fight/debate in these forums I have seen to date. There were more threads locked after this event than at any other time to date.

***I was unable to find a breakdown of Brother Guilds numbers. If you have one please send link to me via PM & I will include here.

Last edited by Da Grud on Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Da Grud
Master Keeper
Master Keeper

TOURNAMENT #5

Postby Da Grud » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:57 pm

Qualifier Start Date: Saturday, June 21st 2014

Tournament Start Date: Monday, June 23rd 2014

Tournament update Thread: <click here>

Tournament Results...

Tournament Notes: There was a nice long break between tournament 4 & 5 (12 days), so the DK community had a lot of time to discuss the tournaments and have a little fun. One particularly funny thread was created by Dungeon Steve & it poked fun at how every tournament prior had ended in some type of scandal or others complaining incessantly... Funny prediction thread

There also was a growing group of players who were just burnt out from all the tournaments so tournament 5 saw the creation of The Unofficial Defender's Tournament. You can find this tournament's results <here>

Anyways, once the tournament started it appeared it was going to be a "battle of three countries" as Italy, Frog France & Downtown Dungeons topped the winners list. However, it wasn't meant to be as a brand new, unknown guild, 'Disposable Heores' appeared out of nowhere and started to climb the leaderboard. The guild showed only 12 players in it and was only a level one guild. No one knew who they were, but it appeared they may have been cheating somehow in an attempt to win the tournament.

Despite the possible unethical practices that Disposable Heroes may have been using, the Italy guild was still powerful enough to win it's first ring. Quite an impressive win if you ask me.

Regarding the Disposable Heroes guild, the leader finally came forward some time later and explained they were trying to win the tournament to force EA to address the abuse of using baby dungeons to win tournaments. (Source threads: <here> & <here>)

It might have only been a coincidence, but it appears to have worked as EA changed the tournament reward system at the conclusion of this tournament. (<Source Thread>)

Here is the breakdown of Italy's top 20 keepers...

Da Grud
Master Keeper
Master Keeper

TOURNAMENT #6

Postby Da Grud » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:58 pm

Qualifier Start Date: Wednesday, July 9th 2014
Qualifier Start Time: 01:00 GMT / 21:00 EDT (July 8th)

Tournament Start Date: Friday, July 11th 2014
Tournament Start Time: 01:00 GMT / 21:00 EDT (July 10th)

Tournament Results...

Tournament Notes: This was the first tournament to follow the change to the star award system. As such, keepers at dread level with a level 10 dungeon heart were now able to earn as much as 43 stars at a time for a single three star victory. Because of this fact it was indeed odd that the qualifier for this tournament remained at only 50 stars. All the brackets for this tournament filled up in less than 2 hours. Considering the qualifier started in the middle of the night for some in European time zones, this meant some guilds missed their opportunity to even qualify for this tournament.

MWyatt later explained why...
Subject: QUALIFICATION CRITERIA FOR TOURNAMENT 6.
MWyatt_Mythic wrote:It was an intentional choice to not raise the qualifications for this tournament considering that the only means to message the server-side change was via the forums and other social channels. Increasing the qualifying stars have the very real possibility to turn other players away from the competition without having full knowledge of the situation.

It will be revisited for the next tournament as natural word of mouth will spread the actual changes.

Other than a little controversy surrounding the qualifier of this tournament, the rest of it went off without much drama. Downtown Dungeons joined forces with Brotherhood guild to try and help them win their first ring & also to pay them back for their helping Downtown Dungeons win bronze in tournament 5. However, Brotherhood guild was so organized & it's members did such a great job earning stars that they probably still would have won even without Downtown's help.

In the end, they smashed first place by earning over 100k stars (double the second place guild's total). I'm guessing the 75% reduction in minion summoning time promo didn't hurt either.

You can find a breakdown of Brotherhood's individual star counts throughout the tournament <here>

Da Grud
Master Keeper
Master Keeper

TOURNAMENT #7

Postby Da Grud » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:59 pm

Qualifier Start Date: Friday, July 25th 2014

Tournament Start Date: Sunday, July 27th 2014

Tournament Results...

Tournament Notes: This tournament could have ended completly differently. Many in Downtown Dungeons were moving on from this game and as such those that remained started looking for a new guild to compete in. Brotherhood asked for Logan's Run's help in recruiting some of the Downtown Dungeon keepers over to their guild. Logan recruited Da Core (aka Killalot & Killalittle), but Da Core wanted to bring both his main account and his baby dungeon over. Brotherhood told him he couldn't & this upset Logan who had been planning to fight with Brotherhood (against his bud, Shimmerwitz) & instead they both joined Skar Tactics and fought against Brotherhood1.

In the end, this tournament was a battle between three guilds; Brotherhood, Russia & Skar Tactics. All guilds involved put up some impressive numbers considering the lack of a reduced minion summoning time promo. They should all be proud of their performances, but Skar Tactic ended up the winner by a margin of over 14,000 stars. Logan's Run, however had earned 14,000 of those stars himself. Had he fought with Brotherhood like he had originally planned, we might indeed have had a different winner to this tournament.

Breakdown of all Skar Tactic members...

1-The information sited in this part of the history came from Logan's Run himself.

Last edited by Da Grud on Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:10 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Da Grud
Master Keeper
Master Keeper

TOURNAMENT #8

Postby Da Grud » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:59 pm

Qualifier Start Date: Sunday, August 10th 2014

Tournament Start Date: Tuesday, August 12th 2014

Tournament Results...

Tournament Notes: This has got to have been one of the most exciting tournaments yet. There were three players in this fight, Dread Dungeons, Skar Tactics & Russia. The lead changed several times early on in this fight until Dread Dungeon started to pull ahead after being joined with some new top star earners.

Russia didn't give up tho. They continued to fight hard up until the last seconds of the match to give us the closest victory ever between first & second place—a mere 9 star difference. Even more impressive considering most members of each guild win anywhere from 21 to 43 stars per victory.

There was a minor scandal at the conclusion of this tournament as some people objected to the fact that Dread Dungeons had others join it mid tournament. I think what they ignore is the fact that Russia guild did as well.

This tournament was also tainted by a glitch at it's conclusion that showed everyone the wrong results for their bracket & it didn't immediately pay out the gems players had won. (<source thread>)

Dread Dungeons top 10 star earners...
A full breakdown list is available <here>

Last edited by Da Grud on Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Da Grud
Master Keeper
Master Keeper

TOURNAMENT #9

Postby Da Grud » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:00 pm

Qualifier Start Date: Monday, August 18th 2014

Tournament Start Date: Wednesday, August 20th 2014

Tournament Results...

Tournament Notes: This tournament qualifier started just 2 days after the end of tournament 8. So just like tournament 3, many keepers chose to sit this one out. As such, Skar Tactics found there way to any easy victory and won their second golden ring. Making them the second team to accomplish this goal & more than likely, soon to be the first guild to win three rings.

There was a small ruckus during the middle of this tournament when an unannounced hot fix was pushed through that caused many to NOT be able to play the game for some hours. (<source thread>) Other than this tho, the tournament was fairly uneventful.

Breakdown of all Skar Tactic members...

Da Grud
Master Keeper
Master Keeper

Next

Return to General Discussion