Qualifier Start Time: 05:00 GMT / 01:00 EDT
Stars to Qualify: 2,000

Tournament Start Date: Sunday, November 2nd, 2014
Tournament Start Time: 05:00 GMT / 01:00 EDT
Tournament Duration: 1 Day
Tournament Modifier: 20% increase to minions attack & movement speeds

Official announcement Thread:. <click here>

Tournament Results...

Tournament Notes: What's this?!? New names on the winners board?!? That's right, this tournament finally saw a new group of guilds ascend to the top & a brand new guild win their first ring.

To explain how this miraculous event came to pass we must first go back to that change in the gem reward system made at the end of tournament 14. After tournament 14 EA released update 4.2 which drastically slashed the amount of gems won in tournaments by 75% in some cases.

Subject: Tournament Payouts
DKDev_Chris wrote:As promised, here are the new Tournament rewards with update 4.2. Again, this does not include Blitz Tournament rewards, but rather the “normal” Tournaments that occur every other week.

Elite bracket:
1st: 15,000 Gems / 2,000 Dreadstones
2nd: 10,000 Gems / 1,600 Dreadstones
3rd: 5,000 Gems / 1,300 Dreadstones
4-10th: 500 Gems / 1,000 Dreadstones
11-20th: 250 Gems / 750 Dreadstones
21-25th: 100 Gems / 400 Dreadstones

Normal brackets:
1st: 5,000 Gems / 600 Dreadstones
2nd: 3,500 Gems / 480 Dreadstones
3rd: 2,000 Gems / 390 Dreadstones
4-10th: 150 Gems / 300 Dreadstones
11-25th: 100 Gems / 225 Dreadstones
26-40th: 50 Gems / 150 Dreadstones

Lottery: 5,000 Gems / 1,250 Dreadstones

This ENRAGED some players, to say the least & caused the start of a boycott against buying gems until the gem awards were reverted back to their previous totals.

All the previous top guilds agreed to the boycott & in fact they went a step further & vowed to not even use gems during this Blitz tournament. It is perhaps for this reason that we find new names on the winner's list this go 'round.

I say perhaps because I don't wish to diminish the accomplishments of our new champs. In just one 24 hour day the top two guilds of this tournament both earned more stars than the winners of our first Blitz tournament, Dread Dungeon who earned an impressive 94,245 stars. It would defiantly appear that these guilds did NOT agree to the boycott on using gems. I have been told they did not buy gems however, but who can say for sure.

M0rgan provided a graph showing the progress of the top guilds throughout the tournament...

Subject: Horny's Chosen Club—Master winners list
X - minutes from beggining
Y - kilo-stars
Lines (from up to down):
1. Russian digger
2. Russian Warcraft
3. Beautiful Oblivion
4. The Sevem Kingdoms (sometimes in middle German Empire)

Congrats to Russian diggers on your first ring & welcome to the club.

Also of interest in this tournament was just how low the participation in it was. There was supposed to be 10 regular brackets with 50 guilds each competing, but in the end only enough guilds qualified to fill half (5) of the regular brackets. Who can say whether that was because many were unable to qualify or because of the boycott, either way we saw record low participation.

I have asked for a screen shot of the winning guilds internal star counts, but they wish to keep this info private. If you have this info than by all means please forward it to me & I will include it here.

Curious about the other tournament winners? <Click Here>

AUTHOR'S NOTES: It is my hope to record a complete & accurate accounting of each tournament in question. As I am only one individual however, with only my own personally experiences in these tournaments I am sure to miss some stories that others may wish to have recorded. Please PM me if you find any corrections that need to be made or if you have any additional content you feel is missing.
Da Grud
Master Keeper
Master Keeper

Tournament #15

Postby Da Grud » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:44 pm

Qualifier Start Date: Wednesday November 5th, 2014
Qualifier Start Time: 05:00 GMT / 00:00 EST
Stars to Qualify: 1,500

Tournament Start Date: Friday, November 7th, 2014
Tournament Start Time: 05:00 GMT / 00:00 EST
Tournament Duration: 3 Days

Tournament update Thread:. <click here>

Tournament Results...

Tournament Notes: Call me psychic because I predicted the future in my tournament 14 update when I said...

Subject: Horny's Chosen Club—Master winners list
Da Grud wrote:...Sadly this is probably the last tournament that we will see numbers like we did here. At the conclusion of tournament 14 update 4.2 came out and it was announced that the gem prize for winning ALL brackets would be greatly decreased from this point on....

...It is unlikely that the guilds that compete in the Horny Bracket will ever be willing to spend the gems necessary to get record breaking totals like we saw here when the prize they are awarded for doing so has been reduced so much. I suppose time will tell.

As predicted this tournament did see incredibly low star counts earned by the winner...

The only tournament that has seen lower numbers (post the new star system) than this tournament was tournament 9. Tournament 9 saw record low numbers because it started 2 days after tournament 8 & many players sat it out in protest of having tournaments too frequently. EA listened to the protesters and increased the break in between events.

Just like tournament 9, tournament 15 saw incredibly low numbers in protest of another reason. This time players were protesting the slashed rewards for placing in the top three. Only time will tell if EA again listens to it's players & returns the rewards to their pre 4.2 update values.

In addition to the low star counts earned by it's winners, this tournament also saw record low participation by all guilds. Less than half of the 1,525 total seats available were even filled...

Only 13 of the 30 brackets were filled for this tournament. Making this the worst tournament, participation wise that we have ever seen.

Whether the awful participation was due to the increased star count needed to qualify (1,500) or if it was because of the slashed rewards for winning, who can say? My guess is that both reasons probably played a hand.

Why EA raised the stars needed to qualify was never shared with us, but one theory was it was an attempt to thwart the solo guild competitors. If this was indeed their goal than it's safe to say it was an abysmal failure. This tournament saw more solo guilds than any other before it...

After all it didn't take a "Rocket Surgeon" to figure out that with the rewards for winning first being slashed so much that one was much better off settling for a lower place as a solo participant than busting your butt & try'n to place first as part of a group. (Source thread: <here>)

Dread Dungeons took a vote prior to this tournament and even tho they knew they would win a better prize as individuals they decided to fight as a group & go for their fifth ring. They did however continue to honor the boycott & NOT buy any gems.

Most other guilds however must have decided to go it alone tho as Dread Dungeons found very little competition in their journey for their fifth ring. It might very well have been the easiest victory they've had to date. EA has successfully eliminated almost all incentive to fight as a group for guild glory. One must wonder how long they will wait before admitting their blunder & rectifying the situation.

Breakdown of Dread Dungeon's top star earners...

AUTHOR'S NOTES: It is my hope to record a complete & accurate accounting of each tournament in question. As I am only one individual however, with only my own personally experiences in these tournaments I am sure to miss some stories that others may wish to have recorded. Please PM me if you find any corrections that need to be made or if you have any additional content you feel is missing.
Da Grud
Master Keeper
Master Keeper

Blitz Tournament #3

Postby Da Grud » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:56 pm

Qualifier Start Date: Wednesday, November 12th 2014
Qualifier Start Time: 13:00 GMT / 08:00 EST
Stars to Qualify: 2,000

Tournament Start Date: Thursday, November 13th 2014
Tournament Start Time: 13:00 GMT / 08:00 EST
Tournament Duration: 1 Day
Tournament Modifier: +40% speed, +40% health, and +60% damage for Bile Demons

Tournament Rewards:

Tournament announcement thread:. <click here>

Tournament Results...

Tournament Notes: Let's all start off by congratulating "Russia" on winning their fourth ring. Well done guys, you have once again proven your status as a top competitive guild.

If you are keeping score, the results are as follows:

• First place is 'Dread Dungeons' with 5 rings
  • Second place belongs to 'Russia' with 4 rings
  • Both 'Skar Tactics' & Downtown Dungeons' are tied for third with 2 rings.

This was the third Blitz tournament and just like the 2nd Blitz it only saw half of it's brackets filled...

Unlike last time however, this tournament did not see the tough competition of the previous two. This Blitz saw the lowest numbers of any Blitz to date. It appeared that many players just couldn't justify spending gems to increase their number of raids/stars.

I know personally I was in Dread Dungeons (the 2nd place guild) & I didn't even care if we came in first or second as the difference in gem/dreadstone prizes between 1st & 2nd place was not near enough to really care about fighting over when you figured you were at best looking at only winning maybe 1-5% of it. Instead I opted to challenge myself and just see how many stars I could earn without using gems.

Ever since the reward payment structure was changed with update 4.2 the tournaments have shifted away from winning to a more individual game of seeing just how many of the gems/Dreadstones one could win themselves. To that end I created a thread after Blitz #3 for players to share their achievements <here>.

In response to the low participation of the last two Blitz tournaments, EA did announce they will be lowering the total amount of stars needed to qualify for future Blitz tourneys.

Subject: Tournament schedules
DKDev_Chris wrote:Regarding qualifier thresholds, normal tournaments will remain @ 1500 stars. Blitz tournaments, provided the qualifier period remains 1 day, will be reduced to account for the shorter qualifying period.

Only time will tell if this helps or if the low participation is due to another reason such as the lowering of the rewards.

Breakdown of winning guild's top star earners...

Da Grud
Master Keeper
Master Keeper

Tournament #16

Postby Da Grud » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:57 pm

Qualifier Start Date: Wednesday, November 19th 2014
Qualifier Start Time: 13:00 GMT / 08:00 EST
Stars to Qualify: 1,500

Tournament Start Date: Friday, November 21st, 2014
Tournament Start Time: 13:00 GMT / 08:00 EST
Tournament Duration: 3 Days

Tournament update Thread:. <click here>

Tournament Results...

Tournament Notes: It says above that the tournament started on Friday the 21st, but in truth this tournament started on the day of the qualifier, Wednesday the 19th. You see due to the fact that a guild could win 400 Dreadstones simply for coming in last place in the Horny's Chosen bracket vs 390 for placing third in the normal bracket, the smart guilds realized they were better off grabbing one of the 5 wildcard seats available in the Horny's Chosen bracket.

Subject: T16 ™©
Da Grud wrote:What an epic start to tournament 16

The first guild qualified in under 18 minutes...

The 2nd guild qualified in under 28...

By 37 minutes in we had our 3rd guild qualified....

Than 2 more qualified in the next two minutes...

In fact we already had 8 guilds qualified by the end of that first hour....

After the wildcard seats were filled however guilds seemed to have stopped caring whether or not they qualified for this tournament. So much so that by the start of the actually tournament, only 645 guilds had bothered to even do so...

That is more than 57% of the tournament seats left empty. Making this the worst tournament, participation wise yet & the fourth tournament in a row with less than 50% of it's seats filled.

In fact every single tournament since the release of update 4.2 has seen less than half it's seat's filled. Prior to update 4.2 you never saw a tournament where there were open seats. Hard to argue that a change is NOT needed.

To further compound this problem, many of the seats that were filled were filled by solo or mini guilds with only 10 members or less. Take the bracket I myself competed in for example. There were 11 solo/mini guilds that competed in my bracket...

That is 22% of the seats in this bracket filled up with solo/mini guilds. Meaning that quite a few guilds that used to enjoy competing in the tournaments have just given up on them entirely. EA you can NOT ignore these stats. A change is obviously needed & I believe I've more than explained to you what that change needs to be.

Now aside from the excitement of the first hour of the qualifier, this tournament was rather uneventful. Russia easily won their 5th golden ring. They now find themselves tied with Dread Dungeons for the guild with the most rings. As for Dread Dungeons, they were noticeably absent from the leaderboard. This was due to the fact that many of it's members opted to compete in solo or mini guilds as it offered them a chance at a better individual award.

There was however, a fierce battle for second place between our tournament 5 winners, the Italy guild & a new guild to the top bracket, Dark Exodus. Dark Exodus has silently been building itself up over the last months, quietly winning minor brackets while training & recruiting new active keepers until they felt they were finally ready to compete in the Horny's Chosen bracket. They decided that tournament 16 was to be their coming out party, so they rallied all their keepers to give it their all & they managed to place third. Only time will tell if they are able to continue their success & maybe become another legacy guild or if this will be the one and only times we see them in the top three.

I've been watching Dark Exodus for months now & something tells me this will NOT be the last we see of this guild. It's a great, active group of Keepers and you could do worse when looking for a new home.

In conclusion, I wish to congratulate the Russia guild once again for winning their 5th ring. They are a machine & it will be interesting indeed to see if it will be them or Dread Dungeons that is the first guild to win 6 rings.

Top 10 star earners in winning guild...

Da Grud
Master Keeper
Master Keeper

Blitz 4.

Postby m0rgan » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:52 am

Tournament results:

Winner guild's name is "Russian devils" in cyrillic. Guild is part of SRG (Union of Russian guilds in cyrillic). Our topic - http://forums.dungeonkeeper.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8364

Graph of tournament:

Top-5 players after 24 hours:
World record?
m0rgan
Upgraded Minion
Upgraded Minion

Blitz Tournament #4

Postby Da Grud » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:27 pm

Qualifier Start Date: Friday, November 28th, 2014
Qualifier Start Time: 17:00 GMT / 12:00 EST
Stars to Qualify: 750

Tournament Start Date: Saturday, November 29th, 2014
Tournament Start Time: 17:00 GMT / 12:00 EST
Tournament Duration: 2 Days
Tournament Modifier: 50% increased Dreadstone prize

Tournament Rewards...

Official Blitz Tournament announcement Thread:. <click here>

Tournament Results...

Tournament Notes: Hallelujah!?! It would appear that EA listened to our complaints. For this tournament not only saw higher payouts, it also saw a reduced star requirement to qualify. As such, this tournament became the very first tournament since the release of update 4.3 that actually filled all seats.

That is not to say that this tournament saw no complaints. Some felt that the frequency of tournaments was just too often. They voiced their complaints <here>

Others didn't feel that the 50% increase in the Dreadstone payouts was "truly" an increase as the payments only went up 50%, while the tournament duration was increased by 100%. You can read the discussion on this topic <here>

Partly due to tournament burnout & also due to the fact that this tournament fell on a holiday weekend (Thanksgiving), we again saw the rebirth of the Unofficial Defender's Tournament that first made it's appearance in tournament 5. In case you aren't familiar with the concept of this tournament, the whole point of it is to compete by simply NOT competing. It awards points for successfully defending your dungeon so you therefore are able to score points by NOT playing.

Three guilds that did not compete in the "Unofficial Defender's Tournament" however were our top three winning guilds. We saw a new guild top the winners list this time around, Рyсские дьяволы (translates to: Russian Devils).

Back before Blitz tournament 2, 9 seperate Russian guilds teamed up to form what they refer to as the "Russian Union." The nine guilds that form this "Union" are:

• Русские Дьяволы (Russian Devils)
  • Russian Digger
  • Русская Лига (Russian League)
  • Русские Дьяволята (Russian Little Devils)
  • Русские Копачи (Russian Kopachi)
  • Russ
  • Russian Dungeons
  • tRUe Keeper
  • Дружина Перуна (Perun Squad)

Russian Diggers was the first guild in this Union to win a ring after the 2nd Blitz tournament. Russian Devils now becomes the second guild in this Union to win first. These guilds do NOT support the Boycott on buying gems that was started after the gem prize was reduced with update 4.2 & they also are NOT affiliated with the 'Russia' guild that has won 5 Horny brackets themselves. In fact the 'Russia' guild is their biggest rival. Many in this Union are out strictly to beat 'Russia'.

The 'Union' is very closed about the information they will share. Choosing NOT to show us their top star earners or even who is a member. They did however provide us with a graph that shows their progress throughout the tournament...

It will be interesting indeed to watch this 'Russia' vs 'Russian Union' war play out. Will these two forces start to dominate all future tournaments or will Dread Dungeons continue to give them a run for their money? Skar Tactics appears to be making a come back as well this last tournament. Perhaps they will be able to return to their previous glory as well. Any way you look at it, things have definitely gotten more interesting as of late.

Star totals of top 5 members in winning guild...

Last edited by Da Grud on Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Da Grud
Master Keeper
Master Keeper

Re: Horny's Chosen Club—Master winners list

Postby Nodnarb » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:40 am

Ruskies & Dreads all the way all day looks like.

i remember the old days, struggling to put out my meager star count. These guys are SERIOUSLY impressive!
Image Nodnarb | Image Serenity | Image LoonyBen
~ Proud Guild Hopper
Nodnarb
Master Keeper
Master Keeper

Re: Blitz Tournament #4

Postby m0rgan » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:01 am

[quote="Da Grud"][/quote]
Thanks for your post.
Some corrections:
1. Russian digger, not Russian diggers.
2. Русские Дьяволята (Russian Devils) - Russian Little Devils
3. SRG was made not against 'Russia' guild. They simply one of opponents at tourney. SRG was created for joint game, mutual support and communications.
4. Screen with top-5 players shows 24-hour record. 10034 is more than 10022 by K "Jerry" Miyagi at Blitz 1.
m0rgan
Upgraded Minion
Upgraded Minion

Postby Langolier » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:51 am

m0rgan wrote:
Da Grud wrote:

Thanks for your post.
Some corrections:
1. Russian digger, not Russian diggers.
2. Русские Дьяволята (Russian Devils) - Russian Little Devils
3. SRG was made not against 'Russia' guild. They simply one of opponents at tourney. SRG was created for joint game, mutual support and communications.
4. Screen with top-5 players shows 24-hour record. 10034 is more than 10022 by K "Jerry" Miyagi at Blitz 1.

Not sure your number 4 is correct there, i Think a few keepers have broken 10500 in a day.
Langolier

Postby m0rgan » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:59 am

Langolier wrote:
m0rgan wrote:
Da Grud wrote:

Not sure your number 4 is correct there, i Think a few keepers have broken 10500 in a day.

Maybe but I don't see screens or whatever.
m0rgan
Upgraded Minion
Upgraded Minion

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion