HOME        ABOUT
FORUMS        FAQ

Tournaments and Game Direction

Announcements from members of the Development, Production and Community teams for Dungeon Keeper.

Re: Tournaments and Game Direction

Postby stark23x » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:38 pm

DKDev_Chris wrote:Greetings Keepers,

I've seen a desire for more communication regarding the way Tournaments are being handled and some insight to the general direction of the game. As such, I wanted to touch base with everyone.

1) Gem Tournament Payouts - I've already commented on this here. When this decision was made, we knew it would be controversial, but it was a necessary change.

The more I see this the more I realize that one huge piece of information is missing here.

Why? Why was it necessary? Has it ever occurred to anyone that if you had a good reason and you actually explained it...we'd listen? In the spirit of following through on the claims to want to further more communication...how about someone giving us the real scoop on this?

NOW RECRUITING - WCIA 2012, 2013. Let's get that trophy in 2015!

If you notice my absence, it's because Mommy said I can't play with you anymore.
stark23x
Keeper
Keeper

Postby ofblong » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:50 pm

I have to agree with stark on this. Why was it necessary because I see no reason for the necessity....

Also how about more survival raids. getting to 100 is going to take forever. I am at 31 completed survival raids and have played this game just shy of a year. So at my current rate it will take me another year and a half to get 100 survival raids for those precious 25 gems.
ofblong
Master Keeper
Master Keeper

Postby deadroom » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:45 am

Hate to say it by I agree with The Lord keeper of Kabul (oops did I get that wrong?).

I like how the new payouts even out the playing field a bit.

What I don't like is that the qualifying amounts have reduced the number of horses in the race.

For the 4th tourney in a row there will be more than half the seats unfilled.

That just is not fair for the up and coming guilds out there.

If the intention is to have fewer guilds in the tourneys then they ought to be spread out amongst the brackets to better reward those that do qualify.

It's just ridiculous to have roughly 500 guilds crammed into 10 brackets when there are so many seats unfilled. No justice or reward for the effort put in.

I would still also like to have a better reducing order of payout according to position rather than the sub bracket payouts. Each position should have a different pay to encourage guilds to fight even for that 1 spot.

Tired of settling for "top 10" or "top 20". I would rather fight for say 13th.

Finally, maybe these mysterious new focus and directions will explain why all the changes have been wrought.

I, for 1 am looking forward to them! :mrgreen:
Guild
Despicable Me
deadroom
Upgraded Minion
Upgraded Minion

Postby Lord Keeper of Kobol » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:40 am

Regarding DKDev_Chris' post viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8338&start=90#p62034 (quoted above)

Does this post not address why the change occurred or does not address it in sufficient detail?

Does this post not explain why it was necessary or does it not explain the necessity in sufficient detail?

Does this post not give a good reason or does it not give the good reason in sufficient detail or is the reason given not a good one?

Does this post not *actually* explain things or does it not do this in sufficient detail?

I'm open to the idea that there may be a problem but I think it's worth being specific about what exactly is lacking. Perhaps it's just a question of detail or perhaps some of these things are truly missing in their entirety but I don't think it's worth completely ignoring the current explanation given.

It would be better for us to be specific about exactly what we actually want explained so that no time is wasted in explaining something that we are uninterested in.
Lord Keeper of Kobol
Master Keeper
Master Keeper

Postby stark23x » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:49 am

Kobol, are you DKDev_Chris?

If you notice my absence, it's because Mommy said I can't play with you anymore.
stark23x
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Lord Keeper of Kobol » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:56 am

stark23x wrote:Kobol, are you DKDev_Chris?

Thought I really needed to quote this one just for the record. :)
Lord Keeper of Kobol
Master Keeper
Master Keeper

Postby Bummerrr » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:11 pm

DKDev_Chris wrote:As with the entire game economy, the gem economy is frequently evaluated and analyzed to ensure the overall health of the game, and also to ensure that the user experience for the vast majority of players is balanced and fair. What was discovered is that with all of the above mentioned gem trickle features now implemented in the game, combined with the elevated guild tournament gem payouts, was that the gem economy had experienced hyper-inflation and needed to be brought back down.

hyper inflation is a little over the top, no?

i argue that now with the low payouts (lower supply), gem expenditure has gone down (lower demand)

when a high supply/high demand situation turns into a low supply/low demand situation, price remains constant. This is what EA has done, by lowering supply, demand dropped because most would not accept the increased price. So what EA has done, in essence, is to kill the fun of the game cuz nobody is playing anymore...
Acc#1: 4,450/453k CP / 1686 Hearts / 1270.2M Plunder
Acc#2: 3,300/488k CP / 2441 Hearts / 1472.8M Plunder
Guild: The Seven Kingdoms
Bummerrr
Master Keeper
Master Keeper

Postby stark23x » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:18 pm

Lord Keeper of Kobol wrote:
stark23x wrote:Kobol, are you DKDev_Chris?

Thought I really needed to quote this one just for the record. :)

So you're not him then?

stark23x
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Smellypuppy » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:02 pm

I agree withe deadroom (and others who have made this point before in other threads)
The incentive to try beyond a general threshhold isn't there - you can get 8 dreadstones for top 20 finish or try really hard for top 3 and maybe get 25 - wow!
For me personally, I enjoy what dk dev Chris refers to as the trickle of gems. A variety of things that give you a bit of reward. On the flip side, I am also not dying to get the new traps or immortal. So, as Bummmer pointed out their is low demand pull for me combined with low reward. Furthermore the flip side of the economic gem situation that Bummmer and Dk dev Chris refer to is that there are not a more ways to spend a trickle of gems. Alternatively, would like to see other rewards like 10% time reduction to train/build/dig of your choice, perhaps even instead of some of the trickle of gems if this could boost tourney rewards enough to make them worth trying again to reach a higher finish.

The regular tourney for the reward levels is also too long both to qualify and tourney. Getting too far afield and will continue possibilities in suggestion box, but I feel this is an issue now that needs to be changed.
Smellypuppy
Keeper
Keeper

Postby gremlin » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:34 pm

DKDev_Chris wrote:2) Star Qualifier Thresholds - The original values were selected before we implemented the change to award Victory Star multipliers. The threshold values were never updated accordingly, and were corrected with 4.2. Regarding the recent Blitz tournament thresholds, admittedly those were set to too high for a 1 day qualifier and will be adjusted downward accordingly.

tournaments that do fill up are better than ones that don't. having all the brackets spreads out the heavier guilds a bit more (usually) and gives more people access to prizes. i hope the new 1500 star threshold for regular tournaments will also be reviewed, as i know with only 3 hours left before this most recent one started, there were still 919 of the 1505 seats still open, and the prior regular tournament (the first with 1500 stars) wasn't anywhere near full either.
gremlin
Upgraded Minion
Upgraded Minion

PreviousNext

Return to From the Devs