HOME        ABOUT
FORUMS        FAQ

UPCOMING HOTFIX NOTES - Feb 14, 2014

Announcements from members of the Development, Production and Community teams for Dungeon Keeper.

UPCOMING HOTFIX NOTES - Feb 14, 2014

Postby MWyatt_Mythic » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:52 pm

We've had a team of designers and data analysts pouring over mounds and mounds of data and results are all pointing toward a common trend.

• Players are not gaining as much Resources from Raiding as we would like
As such, we are going to be making the following changes in a hotfix during the working hours here (EST) on Friday, February 14, 2014:

• Gold Mines and Stone Quarries will generate their respective Resources at 2x their current rate
  • Plunderable Resource Caps are to be adjusted.
The new Plunderable Resource Caps will be:

• Level 01: 2500 (unchanged)
  • Level 02: 4000 (up from 3500, increase of 500)
  • Level 03: 10000 (up from 8000, increase of 2000)
  • Level 04: 35000 (up from 25000, increase of 10000)
  • Level 05: 70000 (up from 45000, increase of 25000)
  • Level 06: 125000 (up from 95000, increase of 30000)
  • Level 07: 200000 (up from 150000, increase of 50000)
  • Level 08: 300000 (up from 225000, increase of 75000)
  • Level 09: 450000 (up from 350000, increase of 100000)
  • Level 10: 700000 (up from 500000, increase of 200000)

Why are we making this change?

As mentioned above, our data is showing that players are not gaining as many Resources as we intended from Raiding activity. The game, at its core, is about Raiding and Plundering from other Keepers while protecting yourself from the same fate. Doubling the Resource generation rate injects substantial Resources into the economy and increasing the Plunderable Caps stimulates both Attacking and Defensive behaviors.

With the Plunderable Resource Caps increased, does this mean I will lose greater amounts than I do now?

Potentially. The available Resources to be Plundered in a PVP Raid is either 30% of the enemy Keeper's current Resources or the Plunderable Resource Cap based upon their Dungeon Heart Level -- whichever is less.

This does also mean, however, that it's much more likely to encounter an enemy Keeper with significantly more Resources to be Plundered than exists today.

If you have any thoughts, questions or criticisms about this upcoming change then feel free to let us know. Further adjustments may occur prior to this change going live so keep an eye on this thread for the latest details.

* there is a winter storm to hit this area on Thursday which may cause a delay. Will keep this thread updated accordingly as well if the timetable will be affected.
Michael J. Wyatt
Senior Designer
Electronic Arts
MWyatt_Mythic
Developer
Developer

Re: UPCOMING HOTFIX NOTES - Feb 13, 2014

Postby spcbrass » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:11 pm

Good to know! Looking forward to pushing the limits under the new system. Thanks for the heads up! Now back to my own mountain of data! 8-)
Ninja Rocket Surgeon

Don Quixote wrote:Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.

Device: HTC One
Game Version: tu3.1.0.69.248444
spcbrass
Master Keeper
Master Keeper

Postby Daemonizer » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:21 pm

MWyatt_Mythic wrote:The game, at its core, is about Raiding and Plundering from other Keepers while protecting yourself from the same fate.

In order to protect ourselves in DungeonKEEPer we need to be able to KEEP resources safe while we plan our upgrades, not just apply whatever resources we happen to have on whatever room has the juvenile bouncing shortcut that tries to tell us what to do next.

All we need to make the game awesome once again is for Mythic to restore the capabilities the game had before Update 3.

Two things specifically:

(1) We could squirrel resources in upgrades that we could cancel without charge. There was a small penalty; the upgrades remembered the real-time that had passed (after 20% completion) and that was sufficient to ensure that this mechanism was not abused. We could use a number of upgrades simultaneously to keep some resources safe that we could later release and use for a more expensive upgrade. This activity caused a number of us to buy gems to own more Imps. And we didn't feel robbed when we cancelled an upgrade to free an Imp to replace raid-removed traps.

(2) Mines and Quarries were safe storage for the resources accumulating there. When we woke up and tapped a mine we were pleasantly rewarded with resources that made being raided during the night acceptable. Plus, it gave us reason to open and upgrade additional mines and quarries.

Personally, I feel extremely cheated that the game I invested so much money in was then changed to a game that is now stagnated. There is no way I can see to save and plan for the expensive upgrades my dungeon requires.

All it takes to make this once again the best mobile game I have ever played, and one of the best ever on any platform, is to reinstate the ability for a Keeper to KEEP some resources safe and PLAN the dungeon upgrades EXACTLY the way it was PERFECTLY designed to do before Update 3. We felt very clever squirreling our resources. It added an extra layer of satisfaction and gave us something to do instead of just login-raid-logout.
------------------------------------------------------------
Daemon, Oct 17 2013
Daemonizer
Master Keeper
Master Keeper

Re: UPCOMING HOTFIX NOTES - Feb 13, 2014 (Korean)

Postby Foxhole » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:29 pm

* 팀 내 디자이너들과 데이터 분석가들이 공통적으로 제기한 문제점이 있었습니다.
-플레이어들이 레이드에서 자원을 원하는 만큼 얻지 못한다'

*그에 따라 우리는 미국 동부시 기준으로 2월 13일 목요일(한국은 아마 14일 오전에야 적용될 듯)에 다음과 같은 핫픽스를 진행할 것입니다.

*금광 및 돌광의 자원 생산량이 현재의 두배로 늘어남

*약탈 가능 최대치의 조정
-조정치
Level 01: 2,500 (변화 없음)
Level 02: 4,000 (기존값 3,500, 증가량 500)
Level 03: 10,000 (기존값 8,000, 증가량 2,000)
Level 04: 35,000 (기존값 25,000, 증가량 10,000)
Level 05: 70,000 (기존값 45,000, 증가량 25,000)
Level 06: 125,000 (기존값 95,000, 증가량 30,000)
Level 07: 200,000 (기존값 150,000, 증가량 50,000)
Level 08: 300,000 (기존값 225,000, 증가량 75,000)
Level 09: 450,000 (기존값 350,000, 증가량 100,000)
Level 10: 700,000 (기존값 500,000, 증가량 200,000)

*본 패치의 이유
-데이터 분석 결과 평균적으로 플레이어가 제작팀의 의도만큼의 자원을 얻고 있지 않다는 결과가 나왔습니다. 이 게임, 그 핵심 구조는 다른 키퍼를 공격 및 약탈하는 동시에 자신을 그와 같은 운명에 처하지 않도록 방어하는 것입니다. 자원 생산량을 두배로 늘리는 것은 상당한 자원을 게임내 경제 전반에 투입하게 되며, 자원 약탈 가능 최대치의 증가는 공격과 방어 모두를 활발하게 할 것입니다.

*자원 약탈 가능 최대치가 증가하는데, 이게 내가 지금보다 더 자원을 많이 잃게 된다는 의미인가요?
-그럴 가능성도 있습니다. PVP 레이드에서 약탈당할 수 있는 자원 최대치는 현재 보유 자원량의 30%이거나, 던전 하트 레벨에 따른 기준 중 낮은 양으로 결정됩니다.
-이 말은, 레이드에서 지금보다 훨씬 자원이 많은 플레이어를 만날 가능성이 높아진다는 의미이기도 합니다.

만약 어떤 의문사항이나 비판, 제안사항이 있으시다면 자유롭게 의견을 전해 주시기 바랍니다. 수정사항 적용 이후에도 변경이 있을 수 있으니, 이후 변경 사항 세부 내용을 원하시면 이 게시글에서 확인하시기 바랍니다.

*목요일에 이곳에 눈보라가 몰아칠 예정이라 패치가 지연될 수 있습니다. 예정시각 변경시 이 게시글을 통해 공지하도록 하겠습니다.
iPad 4, iPhone 5 (iOS 7.0.4)
Foxhole

Postby cold_hell » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:56 pm

Once again you are trying to take a way from people who have played a balanced game. People with low level hearts and high everything else benefit the most from this, along with new players. Balance it out, available plunder should depend on more than one factor, i.e. a combination of attacker and defender's
Heart levelS
Number and level of mines
Number and level of stone/gold storages
Etc.
NOT JUST THE DEFENDER'S HEART LEVEL.
cold_hell
Minion
Minion

Postby Punkist » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:48 pm

Here's my answer to u mwyatt,

Even before your implementation I can forsee what's going to happen, let's do the math

Facts:
1. Average of 40% increase in plunderable resource (limit) in the new update
2. Currently resources are plundered at an average rate of 500k stone an hr (based on studies done by scpbrass and my personal experience)
3. This equates to a new rate of 500k x 1.4= 700k

Objective: To get 5 mill stone to do a high lvl upgrade
Math: time to get upgrade = 5mill / 700k = 7 hrs
Conclusion: that's a whopping 7hrs of no lifing, continuous battery drain, 100% focus and absolutely no way to keep that stone

Great job team ea/mythic, you've outdone yourself once again

Edit: So the justification is that there's more meat out there now, we should be able to plunder more ppl.
Pause for a moment...Are you sure team mythic? Do you know that raiding takes both army and mana? To fully regenerate my army takes 20mins.
Having more resource out there will not resolve the fact that u need time for troops and mana regeneration
Last edited by Punkist on Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Punkist
Upgraded Minion
Upgraded Minion

Postby Creech » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:12 pm

I don't see any point in continuing playing with these kinds of changes. Obviously not the game for me.
Creech
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Helheim » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:20 pm

Mythic...allow me to make a suggestion, and then explain why...

A guild bank that allows the withdrawal of funds, not just the donation. (I'll explain details aftrr the why portion)

The game, as you say is about raiding and plundering, in other words, player interaction. This is a social game. As such, guilds should be a critical aspect (it increases the socialization, the basis of the game.). Not only would a guild bank make guild membership critical and necessary, it would reward members for the above mentioned socialization. It would also add a feature many people want (a way to store resources) without the added worry of a new structure and the related analyzing and design to balance defensive capabilities with this new building (plus, if it could be destroyed, its only right they would take the money inside =))

The details I suggest, is to modify the code to allow withdrawal from guild donations, once per hour (or day even) limited to an amount based on dungeon heart level, as the heart level is the central basis for all other upgrades, and therefore gives a good basis to determine a reasonable figure needed to upgrade at specific heart levels. This eoiuld maybe even encourage balanced upgrading..?

However, the negative of withdrawing donations is that it would take away from donations, which would hinder reaching new levels in your guild. This would further increase the need to interact with members, and could also spawn healthy in game conflict if certain members withdrew more than the other members think necessary... Could create war amongst users and increase activity...

A last point, as you notice, there is a donation cap for each guild level... This should keep players from donating all their plundered resources in order to never have anything raided... It would make storage finite, and enforce balance and teamwork between guilds.

And all the above, I believe would take the game I'm a very good direction, in contrast to where its heading now.
Helheim

Postby spcbrass » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:21 pm

Punkist wrote:Here's my answer to u mwyatt,

Even before your implementation I can forsee what's going to happen, let's do the math

Facts:
1. Average of 40% increase in plunderable resource (limit) in the new update
2. Currently resources are plundered at an average rate of 500k stone an hr (based on studies done by scpbrass and my personal experience)
3. This equates to a new rate of 500k x 1.4= 700k

Objective: To get 5 mill stone to do a high lvl upgrade
Math: time to get upgrade = 5mill / 700k = 7 hrs
Conclusion: that's a whopping 7hrs of no lifing, continuous battery drain, 100% focus and absolutely no way to keep that stone

Great job team ea/mythic, you've outdone yourself once again

That's a 35% increase across the board on the cap meaning we could potentially (potentially being the operative word here) pludner up to additional 35% more per raid. Or if we take our overall number of 500K that would give us up to an additional 175K of resources that way.

Factor in the doubling of mine production which is a potential 100% increase in new resources being allocated to the pool provided keepers are harvesting them and leaving it untouched. 4 mines at level 10 would introduce approximately another 10K per keeper per hour into the equation meaning if keepers are between upgrades and go offline or idle you would be able to raid 30% of that number or 3000 stone more per hour for however many hours of stone they may have collected and left out in the open provided they are under that cap.

Through a combination of these two factors I can forecast 700K per hour numbers. Factor in your starting number plus harvesting along the way and that brings the time down in the 6 hour range, which I think given the right block of time during the day plus a successful weekly survival raid passed to net you the last 550 would potentially drop the time in the 5 1/2 hour range. Still 5 1/2 hours is a long time and will require a great deal of luck along the way when it comes to hitting those mega resource dungeons.

Once this new update takes effect I'm going to gather more sample data to see if I can support my prediction or if plundering 5 million stone is a day is really just a pipe dream.

I might seem overly optimistic, but only time will tell!
Ninja Rocket Surgeon

Don Quixote wrote:Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.

Device: HTC One
Game Version: tu3.1.0.69.248444
spcbrass
Master Keeper
Master Keeper

Postby Creech » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:30 pm

I'm not going to collect resources if they can be taken in such quantity and lose any res pending in my mines. Perhaps ensure that attackers are matched against defenders properly.
Get rid of negative points outcomes.
I'm not sure I like having to play the way its intended.
Not enough raiding? Let the raiders hang on to the resources so there is a point in doing it.
Creech
Keeper
Keeper

Next

Return to From the Devs